About Me

My photo
United States
I'm a 17 year old girl, who loves jpop~

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My conclusion about AKB

 I got into jpop through the H!P group, berryz koubou. Berryz led me to the rest of H!P including Morning Musume. They opened the doors to other groups in H!P, say, AKB for instance. I've always focused on berryz. After all, they were the group that led me into this wonderful world of music.
Then, I discovered AKB. But just like momosu, I was pretty casual about them. I loved their music, but I didn't want to learn their names and I didn't want to go around and discuss them on forums. I didn't feel like I loved AKB and momosu as much as berryz.

In early 2010, I started to really get into momusu. I learned their names, what they looked like, and what their voices sounded like. I started participating in the momusu forums, searching for older songs by them (Renai Revolution <3). I wished I was at anime expo (where they performed) I'd always watch the PV's and concert video's on youtube over and over. I cried when Koharu graduated (she was my favorite member) And bawled when Kamei Eri, and the panda's graduated. (I was just getting to know linlin and junjun!) I watched the kyuukies audition (I love you Zukki, Mogi) in suspense in who would be joining momusu. Cried when I saw maji desu ka ska! and how cute the girls looked. I rejoiced when maji desu ka ska and only you hit 1 million views.
 Suddenly the "oh, this group looks cool but berryz are better" went to "oh wow, I love these girls just as much as berryz" And it happened naturally. I didn't force myself to be interested in momusu, It came freely. Of course during this time, I got more into AKB too. When they had a new single, I'd always be sure to add it to my ipod. I'd glance once or twice at their PV's, but never watching the whole thing.

So I guess you could say, I've always been a momusu girl. No matter how hard I tried to get into AKB as much as momusu, It didn't work. There's just these little thing about AKB that annoy me. Soon, I started feeling bitter towards them. I guess them selling 1 million copies per single compared to momusu's 40k has something to do with it. But that's not all:
  • AKB doesn't sing live that much. That shows the world that you can't sing. It takes great effort to sing and dance at the same time. I tried it, it's really hard. People come to your concerts to hear you. What's the point if your dancing along to some studio recording? Otherwise, they can just plug in their ipods and listen to the song.
  • AKB's fan service is just too much for me. In a poll, it showed that girls and boys around age 20 were the biggest AKB fans. The male and female section were nearly equal, which means that AKB's fans have just as many female fans as male fans. Then why all the fan service? Every other week, I see a magazine filled with Mayuyu or Acchan or Tomochin wearing sexy lingerie in suggestive poses. Photobooks that are made so you can "pretend" your on a date with the member. And Heavy Rotation. WTF was that? TEENAGED girls in lingerie wearing cat ears and kissing each other?! Over in Japan, it may be "cute" but over in America, If a girl or girl group did that, they'd be highly looked down upon and shunned. That sexy stuff and Lingerie is for Women, adults like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Teenaged girls shouldn't be playing around in that stuff.
  •  The senbatsu elections are pointless. It is the same people every time. Every. Freaking. Time.
  • Their sales keep going up for every single, which is a good thing. However, their sales keep going up regardless of how good the song is. It's just like how twilight got popular. Everyone suddenly notices it, and it becomes waaayy popular, waayy overrated. People are buying AKB stuff just because it's AKB, and it's what's in now. It doesn't mean they necessary like it, but they just want to be normal and be up to date with what's "in".
  • They are just "too in your face" Participating in photo shoots, commercials, dramas, baseball games! Tokyohive makes it their goal to post an AKB article every five seconds. I just want to yell "I'm tired of seeing you"
There's more, lots more, but this is all I can think of now.
It sounds like I hate AKB, but really, I don't.
I have all of their singles on my ipod (except chance no junban D: and everyday kachuusha) and a select few songs off of albums and stages that I like. I've finally some to a conclusion after weeks of contemplating.

I'm going to be a casual about AKB, a casual fan.

I'm not going to go on AKB forums and spend my time watching PV's and concerts.When they have a new single, I'll listen to it, see If I like it. If I do, great, I'll buy it. If not, then, well, ignore. I'm just not going to do the same things with AKB that I do with momusu and berryz.
And what's wrong with that?
AKB may be Japan's #1 girl group, but that doesn't mean I have to be a die hard fan and worship them like goddesses. I think a causal fan will be much better. That way, I don't have to be rude to anybody when I read AKB related news on tokyohive or youtube. This fan war, these fights, this AKB vs momusu thing has worn me out. I can't be a fan of  both.

I choose momusu.
I'm pretty sure it has always been momusu. 

Momoiro Clover should be in AKB's place. Momoclo should be selling millions. I listen to their songs and think "wow, I've never heard anything like this before" I watch their PV's and I'm totally entertained. They have cool outfits (not school uniforms like most groups, except Ikuze! Kaitou Shojo) They do things that AKB would never do. Like wear coconuts on their boobs, or dance crazily. They aren't afraid to dress up as power rangers and look stupid. Their wild, crazy, and are all about having fun.Everything they do is original. Their unique. And that's what I like.

I wish AKB all the luck in the world. They've already sold millions, breaking lots of records and making history. Soon, they'll break the record for momusu's Love Machine which sold around 1.6k. Everyday Kachuusha sold around 1.5k, so I'll know they'll break the record with their next single. Personally, songs like 10nen Sakura, Sakura no Hanabiratachi, Boku no Taiyou, all of their older songs has this aura, this spark to them, which made them lovely songs. After Sakura no Shiori, AKB just kind of lost that spark for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment