About Me

My photo
United States
I'm a 17 year old girl, who loves jpop~

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I am going to this school no matter what! +rant

Anime and manga definitely helped me like Japan and get me into it, but I do not love Japan only for anime and manga. I love the language, culture, and history (even though I don't know much about these!)
That's why, before I die, I'd really like to visit there!

Next year, I hear my school is doing another exchange program, this time, Arundel students have a chance to go over to Sagamihara (near Tokyo) and visit their school. I don't know if this is official, but if it is, I'd be so happy! I already talked it over with my mom. She's worried about me going over there. I reassured her at least 2 teachers would come with us, and we'd be in groups (most of the time). Plus, I know a junior who I talk to that said she wants to go to. My mom never said a definite "NO", but it wasn't a yes either... I hope she lets me go. I have high confidence that I can pass the test (well, at least I think there's a test...) This is my dream...

I also really want to attend this school: http://www.japanese-school-asahi.com/
Asahi Nihongo, a school in Fukuoa, Japan dedicated to teaching students all over the world Japanese language and culture. It seems like a really cool school!
  • Instead of of sitting in boring classrooms all day long, they host parties, field trips, and activities ranging from Hanami to martial arts to manga drawing workshops. They let you learn Japanese, while learning the culture too. 
  • The pay also seems affordable. It's all under $1000 (If you stay for 2 weeks or less)
  • You can choose where to stay. I'd probably stay in a flat, dorm, or with a host family. With a host family, I know I'd be super awkward. I'd worry about embarrassing myself in front of them, or being rude on accident O____O
  • There's testimonials,which reassures me.
I don't see any downsides to this school!
When can I go to this school? Next Summer In 2 years? 5 years? When I get out of college? Japan just had numerous earthquakes and a tsunami hit them... they are healing, so I don't know. I thought the Summer course could be a good idea, but that course is only like 5 days *____* That's waay too short!

Why do I even have an interest in Japan? If manga/anime (which got me into Japan in the first place) was started in India, would I love India like this? What about Australia? Britain? Naahh, probably not. I love India. The clothes, the culture, the race. (chocolate skin and dark hair. Indians look very pretty <3 I love Australian and British accents, or any accent for that matter)

Who knows?

RANT:
I don't talk about Japan around anyone, because really, who cares? I like Japan, but why do I need to talk about it 24/7? Though one time I did, around my friend N. I regret it. Here's what happened:

N: *scream*
Me:What?
N: WE'RE LEARNING ABOUT RUSSIA!!! (we're in world history class)
Me: *shrugs* okay
N: I LOVE RUSSIA!!!
Me: Okay... clam down. We're learning about Japan and you don't see me screaming.
N: But your not even Japanese...
Me: ...And? So what? Do you have a point? Your obsessed with Russia.
N: Well, I'm Russian, and I like other countries too.
Me: Okay, Yeah, me too. I really like India, the culture and customs.
N: What are you talking about?
Me: *face plam* Oh, never mind

That was like a slap to my face. I know I'm not Japanese. I am AFRICAN AMERICAN. And the last time I heard, I don't have to be Japanese to visit Japan and learn the culture. Oh. You think just because your Russian (I'm talking about N) You can love Russia, and because I'm not Japanese, I can't love Japan?

BS
I was bitter towards her the rest of class as much as I could without being obvious.
After that situation, I never say anything about Japan.
She used to be into anime/manga until she apparently thought it was "lame" or "uncool" and left. (which is tottaly fine) She still thinks I'm so anime/manga japan obsessed person. (despite me not going to anime club in forever) which is sad, but oh well. Even I'm drifting away from anime/manga. I still like it, but its not where In was a few years ago. me a few years ago:

"OMG!!! The next chapter of ________ came out!!! I HAVE TO READ IT!!"
"OMG!!!   I HATE sasuke, he's so annoying"
"OMG!!! Funimation FINALLY got new anime"
*logs onto computer at school**goes straight to mangafox*
now: *logs onto computer at school.**goes straight to jpop asia*
Yeah. Much more into jpop (that is my anime/manga substitute)
maybe if we turned our anime club into an "Asian pop culture" club, or  (because why does our club have to stick that that?) "pop culture" club, I'd actually show up.

I'm also getting sick of some of my friends who are 1/2 asian or 1/4 asian or 1/8 asian. They'll be like: "We can do this because we're Asian" "it's an Asian thing" "You can't do it because your not Asian*

I want to slap them all in the faces. endlessly.

It's not that I'm jealous (I'm not) It's just so annoying having to hear it all of the time. it's not as If your even full Asian. Your half or a fourth or an eighth. Maye I could make an acception If you were full, but your not. You connect these statements with these stereotypes. You say you hate stereotypes, and that their wrong, yet you use them all of the time. random generated conversation:

J: "My parents grounded me because I got a B in Spanish"
K: "Ha ha, J, you parents are so Asian"

WTF? 
EVERY race wants their child to do good. Lots of non Asian parents (depending on the parents) will get mad If a B (and not an A) is mad in the class. My mom will get mad at me If I get a B in a class she knows I can get an A in, like gym or facts or something.

It's as simple as that.

My friend N, used to do it a lot too, but now she doesn't.
And I love her for that <3

Every time someone does it, I just kind of mentally roll my eyes. (I don't want to be rude)
It's not just me, I see the annoyed looks on some other people's faces too.

we're all just too nice to say anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment